Sunday, May 7, 2017

Week 7: Research Review and Reading Reflection

Research Resource Review
The two research resources that I have found the most helpful to my CERP research and to my understanding of the current issues with displaced peoples were the readings on the Dublin Regulation and the BAMF resources on Migration to Germany and the Stages of Asylum Procedure. Personally, I have some background knowledge of both the history of Germany, the history of countries from which migrants are coming (i.e. Syria), and migration theory. The knowledge I was really lacking, that I also wanted to know more about, was around current migration regulations and policies around the world (but particularly in Germany). The readings on the Dublin Regulation allowed me to understand the current regulations and attitudes throughout Germany and many different countries in the EU. In addition, the BAMF sites addressed my concern about not knowing the processes that migrants and asylum seekers go through in Germany. My CERP project focuses on policy and regulation that either helps or hinders migration and refugee assistance, and these resources were an extremely helpful starting place for me. 


Reading Highlights: 
1. The goodness of a service is complex: each service often has both internal and external good effects. 
2. There are three kinds of citizens: personally responsible, participatory or justice-oriented citizens. The multiplicity of types of citizens complicates the ability for advancement of regulations and socio-political ideas. 
3. I found this quote from the Identity and Social Action reading to be really compelling: "Our identities often shape the issues that we feel are important or our comfort in taking action on certain issues or in particular communities". It made a lot of sense and I'd like to talk more about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment